Relocating to a new province can be a challenging experience, especially when it comes to navigating car insurance changes. This guide is designed to help new Ontario residents or people planning to move – smoothly transition their car insurance and understand the essentials of vehicle registration in the province
Registering Your Vehicle in Ontario
As a new resident, you have 30 days to register your vehicle in Ontario. For this, you will need to visit a Service Ontario centre with the following documents:
- A safety standard certificate for your vehicle.
- Proof of Ontario car insurance.
- The vehicle permit or registration from your previous place of residence.
Remember, it’s crucial not to cancel your previous insurance until you have secured new coverage in Ontario.
Obtaining an Ontario Driver’s Abstract
A driver’s abstract is a vital document from your previous licensing authority. It typically contains information such as:
- Driver’s license number and class, including the date of first issuance.
- Personal details like age, gender, and height.
- Your previous address and any conditions or restrictions on your license.
- Records of any convictions, suspensions, or driver education courses.
Providing this document to your insurance broker in Ontario will help you get an accurate insurance quote. Importantly, showing the earliest license date can also improve your insurance rate.
Getting a Letter of Experience From Your Previous Insurer
A letter of experience is a summary of your insurance history. It shows the duration of your insurance with a company, including any claims or cancellations. If you’ve been with multiple insurers, it’s wise to obtain this document from each one. This letter is often ordered by calling your car insurance broker or company it should be no older than 30 days when used for obtaining insurance quotes in Ontario.
Navigating Provincial Differences
Every province or territory has its procedures for obtaining a driver’s abstract or a letter of experience. Below is a quick reference guide:
- Alberta: Get a driver’s abstract from Alberta Government’s Website. For the letter of experience, contact your previous insurance company.
- British Columbia: Obtain a driver’s abstract from ICBC. The letter of experience is also available through ICBC.
- Manitoba: Request a driver’s abstract via Manitoba Public Insurance. For the letter of experience, contact your previous insurance company.
- New Brunswick: Visit Service New Brunswick for a driver’s abstract. Contact your past insurer for the letter of experience.
- Newfoundland & Labrador: Apply for a driver’s abstract through the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador website. For the letter of experience, reach out to your previous insurer.
- Northwest Territories: Obtain a driver’s abstract here. Contact your past insurance company for the letter of experience.
- Nova Scotia: Visit Service Nova Scotia for a driver’s abstract. Reach out to your former insurer for the letter of experience.
- Nunavut: Apply for a driver’s abstract at a Motor Vehicles Division issuing office or the local Municipal Liaison Office (MLO) or Government Liaison Office (GLO). Contact your previous insurance company for the letter of experience.
- Prince Edward Island: Obtain a driver’s abstract from a Service PEI center. For the letter of experience, contact your previous insurance company.
- Quebec: Request a driver’s abstract from the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ). For your insurance history, access records from the Fichier central des sinistres automobiles (FCSA) through the Groupement des assureurs automobiles (GAA)..
- Saskatchewan: Get both the driver’s abstract and the letter of experience from SGI.
- Yukon: Obtain a driver’s abstract online or at a Yukon Motor Vehicles office. Reach out to your previous insurer for the letter of experience.
Need Help With Getting Car Insurance in Ontario?
Whether you are moving to Kenora, Ottawa, or Toronto; Simplifying your car insurance transition in Ontario is just a click away. Our team is here to provide personalized quotes and guidance every step of the way. Get an Ontario Car Insurance Quote Clicking here.